What is Epoxy Coating
If your concrete floors need extra strength and shine, epoxy coating is your best bet. Concrete floors are often uneven, porous, and easily prone to deterioration. Epoxy is used to strengthen countertops, patios, decks, basements, workroom floors, composite materials and a multitude of other surfaces for commercial and industrial uses. Epoxy floor coating is a combination of chemicals: epoxy resin, polyamine hardener, and acrylic for color customizations. A chemical reaction occurs when epoxy is stirred that fuses the chemicals together that enhances the durability of the substance.
The resin adds a beautiful, lasting shine while the hardener protects the surface from damage from scratches and spills and can withstand heavy loads. Fusion bonded epoxy is used in the water and gasoline/oil industry to prevent pipes from corrosion…it is some strong stuff! Epoxy is becoming more widespread in New York City because of its ability to withstand some of the highest foot traffic in the world.
Best Types of Epoxy Coatings in NYC
What Types of Epoxy Coatings Are the Best in NYC? First off, an epoxy coating is less than two millimeters thick while an epoxy floor is more than two millimeters thick. The thicker the coat of epoxy, the higher the build is. The higher build epoxy can withstand a higher mileage. It is also chemically resistant and even more heavy duty, which is more commercially attractive — and also often necessary to maintain a clean and safe workplace in some industries. These are the best coatings:
- Self-Leveling Epoxy: self-leveling epoxy is the most common type of epoxy floors that are used. It is applied over blemished and cracked substrates to even out the floor’s surface. The epoxy spreads and dries evenly during the application process. Shiny and durable, self-leveling epoxy provides a smooth, professional finish that is good for commercial, industrial, and residential spaces and is scratch and water resistant. It makes any space appear cleaner and larger, which is why it is especially used in commercial retail spaces. This type of epoxy tends to be more expensive than standard epoxy paint since it is formulated differently.
- Self-leveling epoxy is used for hospital floors, imaging centers, manufacturing facilities, showrooms, warehouses, commercial kitchens, aircraft hangars, and athletic flooring
- Epoxy Quartz Broadcast: This type of epoxy creates a textured, multi-colored surface that is solvent free and is versatile in its applications. The solids epoxy floor coating is clear while the quartz-sand variety has a blend of colors with limitless color options. Epoxy Quartz Broadcast can be used for interiors or exteriors and ensures high quality durability. It is easy to clean and it doesn’t have harmful fumes. This epoxy is intended for medium to heavy-duty use and is slip resistant. It can be formulated to be waterproof and graffiti-proof.
- Epoxy Quartz Broadcast is used for industrial kitchens, industrial manufacturing, cafeterias, loading docks, machine rooms, schools, breakrooms, locker rooms, and restrooms, research labs, healthcare facilities
- Epoxy Flake Floors: This Epoxy flooring type creates a layered, multi-colored complexion from the flake materials that are added to the epoxy. The inserted material adds texture that offers an appealing aesthetic, but the slight ridges prevent slipping on this surface. The color combinations, flake material, and sizes are customizable. Additionally, this flooring is durable and scratch resistant. Sometimes Epoxy is mistaken for terrazzo, which is a more expensive decorative tile flooring. Epoxy Flake Floors can look like natural granite, but without the cost. It is used for high-traffic areas.
- Epoxy Flake Floors can be used for commercial kitchens, locker rooms, sports venues, automotive showrooms, veterinary clinics, laundromats
- Metallic Epoxy Floor Coating: This is a low yellowing epoxy mixed with metallic pigment. Glitter-like pigments are incorporated into the mixture. Once the coat hardens, there is a fluid reflective texture present. Metallic Epoxy is great because it is durable, chemical resistant, stain resistant, and slip resistant. Metallic Epoxy Floor Coatings are great for showrooms, waiting rooms, restaurants, galleries, museums
Benefits of Epoxy Coating
Epoxy is antimicrobial so it aids in keeping the room clean. This is important for industries where there are strict health codes and hygiene regulations like hospitals or kitchens. It is slip-resistant, stain-resistant, and chemical-resistant. Even though the surface may look slippery because of its shine, it actually offers substantial grip. With any coating you decide to go with, each one is highly customizable. It can fit whatever space you need it to, however you want it to. Epoxy coating requires little maintenance because it is so easy to clean on top of being spill resistant and an antimicrobial surface. This coating is also fire and impact resistant — ensuring the longevity and durability of your space. With a range of finishes from matte to glossy to water-based, Manhattan Epoxy Company can handle any customization.
At Manhattan Epoxy Company, we offer the highest quality Epoxy solvent as well as the highest quality installation. With over 30 years of experience, we have the network, experience, and know-how to carry out a pristine epoxy floor for your home or company. We are committed to quality and committed to our customers. Our epoxy floors are durable, safe, and cost-effective.